Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Let the series begin!

Our new series will be mythological figures!

I haven't had time for a new photo shoot, what with grading papers and writing a final, so I will offer an older picture:

Notice that the ball of yarn on the right is connected to the fractional sweater on the left by a strand of yarn that goes all the way around the couch and coffee table.

So what mythological figure is Dharma channelling? Penelope, Odysseus' wife. She put off her pushy suitors while her husband was gone by claiming she needed to weave his burial shroud before she could choose a new husband. Every day she wove the shroud, and every night she unravelled it. Apparently her suitors were not very bright, because she put them off for ten years this way.

Derek and I weren't sure how to interpret Dharma's destructive behavior. Was it saying "No, Mommy, don't make me wear a stupid sweater!" Or perhaps "I want to play with the pretty yarn just like Mommy does!"

I recently made Dharma a little sweater vest, but it is kind of homely. I'm not sure it lives up to her total cuteness.

The mythological series will continue, and we are taking suggestions!

4 comments:

Cerise said...

Trying to figure out a chiton/toga for a wiener dog. They have such different proportions. The short legs are giving me trouble. Any suggestions?

TemporaryLibrarian said...

If my somewhat hazy memories of frat toga parties are any guide, you can just drape her in a white sheet. Beer can optional.

Cerise said...

A very small sheet?

elizabeth said...

I made myself a chiton, and it's basically a giant pillowcase that you tie around the waist. So what about a small pillowcase for Dharma? With a piece of fabric on the back for the himation? Whatever you end up doing, I can't wait to see the rest of this series!