Friday, August 24, 2007

Spanish lesson


After I saw this note, I had to go home and pull out my Spanish dictionary. "Apretar tuerco" means tighten. Apparently the red arrow tells you what to tighten, but I didn't see anything that looked like it could be tightened. Then I think that "blokes" means pad or block. I'm not sure. My small dictionary says "bloc" means pad (the noun) and bloquear means to block. You don't think a Brit is working there and is saying "Hey, blokes, tighen this thing up," do you? Hmmm, I'm still not sure. Catidro, I think, is a combination of the English "cathedral" (as in cathedral ceiling) and the Spanish "catedral," also meaning cathedral. So I think that catidro is a compromise between the two languages. This is what my Spanish teacher used to call "Spanglish," a bad combination of English and Spanish. Also the name of a cool movie.

We found out what the little black plastic things in the concrete were. (See below.) They were little place holders in the concrete, so when you remove them, there is a nice square hole in the concrete. Then you can run the water pipes up through the hole and into the bathroom. Clever!


In between the Spanish and the plumbing lesson, today has been a very educational day.

No comments: