Sunday, May 18, 2008

Very sad news, but also some relief

You might have heard about the big tornado in Oklahoma and Missouri. The tiny town of 800 people they have been talking about that was pretty much demolished is my home town, Picher. (Was my home town?) Half the town was totally flattened. Amazingly, only 6 people were killed. All of my immediate family was okay. The government is not going to help them rebuild the town, because it was already a toxic-waste center and a Superfund site. So that is very sad, this is the end of the town. Here are some pictures. Picture number 19 was my Aunt Donna's house. Number 21 is my cousin, Jeff, in the red shirt. He is the fire chief and all sorts of other things in Picher. He's been a busy guy lately!

3 comments:

girl_in_greenwood said...

Oh my goodness! I heard about the tornado in Picher on the news... I'm relieved to hear that your family is all okay! But how sad that it killed the whole town. On the other hand, people probably shouldn't live in a Superfund site. It's bad for your health.

Cerise said...

But what if it is your home? And should the government get to make you leave? What if you have kids? Topics of endless discussion in Picher.

The Chocolate Priestess said...

Oh, my goodness, Emilie! I didn't know. You should have called me for support.