Saturday, August 9, 2008

Vote, vote, vote!

Thank you for your opinions. The Applebee's lampshade is now happily ensconced in my living room (sorry, I couldn't resist the pun.)

Now, for today's question. I am thinking about painting one wall of the living room as an "accent wall." Hopefully, it will emphasize the fireplace and make that end of the room seem cozier and help to separate it from the dining area at the other end. Painting only one wall also avoids having to figure out how to paint the 15-foot-tall part of the other walls.

I am thinking about a nice, warm, cozy color. I have narrowed it down to two choices: sort of a dark brick red or a medium, rosy, terracotta. I have tried to mimic the colors using Photoshop, on part of the wall I plan to paint. It didn't work perfectly, but it should give you some idea. In both cases, the color came out too bright and intense. I guess a real wall would be textured and partially shadowed, so it would have more variation in color.

Here is the darker color:




And the lighter one:



So, do you think this accent wall is a good idea? Which color do you like better? Vote for brick, terracotta, or just leaving it the way it is.

6 comments:

girl_in_greenwood said...

I like the terracota version - it seems to work better with your existing stuff. And I like the Applebee's shade, too!

J. Denae said...

Brick... I think it brings out the other stuff without overwhelming that room in pink!! (Not that there's anything wrong with that). Just remember... it's paint. You can always paint over it!!!

Cerise said...

Oh, no! A tie. Somebody else please vote! Or I could just ask my mom which one she likes, and then do the opposite, just to be contrary. :-)

elizabeth said...

OK, I went back and forth on this a bit -- thank goodness you narrowed it down to two colors!! But I'm voting for the brick too. I think it will make the room look even cozier.

The Chocolate Priestess said...

I'd go with the lighter color. Too dark, especially red, might bring the mood of the room down.

Of course we have nothing but a white house in terms of walls.

TemporaryLibrarian said...

Well, I like the effect of both...the terracotta seems to pick up on colors in your furniture and lamp...but overall I like the darker color better.
By the way, what happened to our daily dachshund dose? All I see in these pictures is one lonely ball.