Sunday, June 26, 2011

Dharma wisdom

You may have seen those lists that say things like “Everything I need to know, I learned from my dog?” Today I, Dharma, will tell you a few things that I think humans need to learn.

1. Cleanliness is overrated. Not only are baths unpleasant, they also remove all sorts of interesting smells. When I sniff your feet or your breath, I can tell what you ate, what you did today, where you went, if you are sick, and what kind of mood you are in. Since most dogs can’t understand people talk, smell is a valuable source of information. Just because you can’t smell very well doesn’t mean your dog doesn’t enjoy a good sniff of the person he loves.

Here is my mommy, letting me sniff around a bit. She even lets me play in the dirt. And see how happy it makes her?

2. The same goes for walks. Smells are more exciting to us than sights. (Especially for those of us who are low to the ground.) Just once, try letting your dog sniff everything that interests him during your stroll. It will be fun for him, and good for you. Haven’t you ever heard the saying “Stop and smell the roses!” Or the pansies, as the case may be.


Sniff!

3. That also means you should slow down, enjoy the moment. Dogs are very good at living in the moment. We don’t need to take yoga lessons to learn to focus, to “be here, now.” You humans worry too much about the future (and the past.) Maybe that is a side effect of your over-developed timekeeping skills. Don’t rush. Just take things in. Breathe deeply, and rub my belly. Even if it makes you late to work.

This belly ain't going to rub itself!

4. Acceptance. Like many dogs, I am a Buddhist. (Bet you could’ve guessed that from my name, huh?) Even humans are not all-powerful. You can’t change everything. Sometimes you just need to go with the flow. Can’t cope? Try taking a nap. Everything will look brighter after a little snooze.

I force--I mean help my humans to relax.

5. As a Buddhist, I also seek to avoid conflict. I think some humans argue just to argue. Dogs play just to play. Sure, to the uninformed human some of our play might look a bit like fighting.But it is all in good fun, without hatred. It is impossible for a dog to hold a grudge. (I don’t hate the V-E-T, I just don’t trust him.)

I assure you, my furless friends, that these few lessons will make you a happier being. And, just maybe, a better person. Just because you aren’t a dog doesn’t mean you can’t try to be more like one.

Simple pleasures bring joy.

No comments: