Monday, July 11, 2011

Heroic Dads

Read about a heroic dad

My Daddy would have done this for me. How do I know? Well, aside from my childhood belief that my father was Indiana Jones, I do know. Because he kind of did. Maybe it wasn't as dramatic, and it certainly didn't make local television. But my Daddy risked his life to save mine.

When I was a sophomore in high school (yeah, not even a cute, helpless little girl), a severe tornado struck near our house. It hit the Air Force base that was about five blocks away. You can see a video of the tornado here. You may have seen this tornado video on the Weather Channel before. It was an EF5 (Enhanced Fujita Scale, at that time a 5 was the highest, most severe rating. It is still the highest rating that has ever been observed.) 17 people were killed, winds reached 200 mph, and many well-constructed houses were totally destroyed.

This storm produced 55 tornados across multiple states. We were already in the basement, watching the weather. When the video of the tornado hitting the Air Force Base came on TV, my Dad started to get "a little worried," as he later put it. He put my mother and brother under the computer desk, covered them with couch cushions, and put me under the big, old oak desk. Then he covered me with his own body. He didn't even try to cover his head, he put his arms around me, using himself as a shield.

The tornado didn't hit our house. If it had, I doubt any of us would have survived, even in the basement under sturdy furniture. If I had, it would have only been because of my Daddy.

Less than block away, the tornado destroyed several large, wooden telephone poles in an otherwise empty field. They were never found. Perhaps they turned into toothpicks?

Thank you Daddy, for putting my life ahead of yours. I know I can never repay you. I am so lucky to have you for a Daddy!


No comments: