Sunday, October 28, 2007

While Derek was on the computer...

...I was packing. We are up to 134 boxes, and I am really puzzled by what is in all of them. I seem to have most of what I need day-to-day, but there are all these boxes full of stuff. It must be Derek's stuff.

Speaking of stuff, I decided to follow a suggestion and start a wish list at Target for our new house. I was delighted to learn that, after 90 days, anything still on the list will be 10 % off, so we can buy things for ourselves. I was somewhat less delighted to learn that the clerk had set up the registry as a wedding registry. We are already married, have been for over 12 years. We are staying married, but apparently we are drawing out our the nuptial celebrations a bit.

You can look at our list at Target.com. You can, of course, give us stuff on the list, but you can also amuse yourself by critiquing our taste and wondering why someone would actually need a pink cotton ball holder (but it is unquestionably the cutest cotton ball holder in the world, it is pink glass and looks like a Depression glass candy dish!) Not to mention the personal benefits the list offers you. For instance, if you give us a croquet set or a serving platter, I am sure we will invite you over to play with it or eat off of it.

The best part of the gift registry was getting to use a little hand-held scanner that looked like a gun. I felt like a Star Trek cadet. And this very charming older lady thought I was registering for wedding presents and started giving me helpful advice for my marriage. My favorite tip? "Always keep a full cookie jar. You never know when you'll need it." Gee, maybe I should register for a cookie jar...

Target.com also helpfully suggests other items you might add to your wish list. I signed up for a pink soap dish and it helpfully suggested I buy soap to go with it. I added a cheese grater and it suggested I buy frozen pizza (presumably to go under the grated cheese?) I think this is what happens when a computer tries to think like a human. Amazon.com also does this when it makes suggestions. It once offered me a discount if I bought both the 2nd and 3rd editions of the same book. I bet there were few takers for that offer. I wonder, if I add a rug to the list will it offer me a vacuum? If I added pjs would it suggest slippers...or prophylactics? If I added aspirin, would it also suggest Tylenol, or relaxation tapes?

We have reserved a moving van and 2 professional movers for Friday, November 9th. We hope to stay in the house that night, since our bed will be there. Anyone want to help us finish up on the 10th?

No comments: