Saturday, November 24, 2007

Our first party

Yes, we had a very small get-together to break in our new house. We had pie and snacks with a few of our friends. I made cherry pie, pumpkin pie, pecan pie, and chocolate pie. The chocolate pie was a big hit, even though it was just an Oreo crust with chocolate pudding and whipped cream piled on top. Maybe I should stop knocking myself out to make homemade pie crust, if this is so popular. I will post a picture or two when Derek gets them off of the camera and onto the computer. I don't know how to do that, and he doesn't want to teach me how, because he has his own very particular way of arranging the pictures in files.

Here is my grandmother's pecan pie recipe. It is really the best one I have ever had. To get a pie crust recipe, see this earlier post.

Nadine's Pecan Pie

4 large eggs (no, Eggbeaters will NOT work)
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup dark Karo syrup
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup pecans
1/2 tsp salt

Beat eggs and sugar until thick and slightly foamy. Add nuts, corn syrup, and vanilla. Pour pie filling over an uncooked pie crust. Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour.

Pretty easy, right? Are you up for more? Then make sweetened whipped cream to serve on top:

1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Beat all ingredient on high until light and fluffy. For a stand mixer this might take 5-7 minutes. For a hand mixer it will take longer. (I don't really suggest you beat this by hand. At least use a rotary hand mixer!)

Enjoy your pie with coffee. While you're at it, you can dump some sweetened whipped cream in the coffee, too. Hmm. . . I think I'll go see if there is any pie left.

3 comments:

J. Denae said...

I'm glad you had a nice party! I wish I could have been there. I agree about the pies... at our Thanksgiving there were 2 homemade pies with "real" crust and then a Mrs. Smith's chocolate cream pie that just had to defrost and that's the one that was gone first!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds delightful! I'll have to pass on the sweetened whipped cream. I've gained 6 pounds since last Sunday. Home made pecan is my favorite.
Tom

girl_in_greenwood said...

I wish I could have joined you for pie! I was at my parents' house for Thanksgiving and my mom and I ate pumpkin pie for breakfast every day. :)