Thursday, November 15, 2007

Still unpacking...

Actually, I think we will be unpacking a year from now! We do have an awful lot of stuff. For one, we have far too many board games:



And, now that I have put them all together, I think I might be oversupplied with candles, candle holders, wrapping paper, and stationery. Gee, sounds like I could open my own gift shop!

We have emptied out our apartment, but we are still working on getting it clean. And our new house is starting to look more like home. We have a pot of flowers by the front door.



And a nice, full pantry. (Why do I feel like a squirrel stashing nuts for winter?)



We had a fire in our fireplace on Saturday. Well, it was one of those Duraflame logs, but it was definitely on fire.



And we got some curtains for the bedroom.



It was hard to sleep past 6 am when the sun started coming in. Derek had a little trouble hanging the curtain rods. They are very complicated, with rods for sheers, drapes, and a valance.



Then his trusty drill started giving off sparks. So, we now have a new drill.

Derek poses with the new drill. Notice the manly stubble (he stayed home from work to move, not to shave!)

As everyone has warned us, being a home owner is expensive. We estimate that we spent about $300 last weekend. There was the drill, an outdoor broom, curtains, floor mats, shelf hardware, and a few other small things. Nothing too exciting, but it was expensive. And we still need more curtains, a ladder, a small table and chairs for the breakfast nook, and grab bars for the two bathrooms. That sound you hear is the piggy bank breaking.

4 comments:

J. Denae said...

A friend of mine is in the process of "de-cluttering" and she has challenged me to get rid of 100 things by Christmas. It could be little things, like a Sharpie that has dried up but somehow is still in the closet or big things like that futon that needs to go. In theory it's a great idea, but when I think about getting rid of stuff I might need later I get a little upset.
This is why there was an entire room that was FILLED, floor to ceiling with fabric when my grandmother died.

Anonymous said...

OOH! Safety glasses too!!! Lookin' Good!
Tom

elizabeth said...

Your place already looks so cozy and welcoming! I have to admit that we are still unpacking more and more things. Including our own (oddly similar) shelf of board games.

Dr. Hausfrau said...

Congrats on moving in! I hope you have a wonderful holiday season in YOUR new house!! From Ebee's friend who reads your blog and got all excited the day you moved in!!